There are many benefits of family mealtime. When a family eats together everyone eats healthier meals! Children are less like to become overweight or obese. They are more likely to stay away from cigarettes and are less likely to drink alcohol or try drugs. School grades will be better. Family relationships will build and you and your kids will talk more. There will be less stress and tension at home.
- Tips for Family Mealtimes:
- Turn off the TV and other electronic devices
- Set a goal for number of family mealtimes and build from there
- Let the kids help prepare the meals and set the table
- Discuss fun and happy things
- Encourage your child to try foods, but do not force.
- Involve your child in conversation
Place a cup in the middle of the table. Fill it with slips of paper with conversation starters or topics of fun discussion. Take turns drawing slips from the cup for an interactive family mealtime. Children can also make up questions, rhymes, riddles, and jokes about food.